Dear Todd,
I know that we are not the warm, fuzzy, share our feelings type of people (we're Scandinavian Lutherans, people!) but I felt compelled to write you a letter today to express what you've meant to me over the years.
A six year age gap is a huge thing to overcome, especially as children. We were never quite "friends". It seemed like you were always so much older than me, doing "older" things. For quite a while, when you went off to college and got married, it was like being an only child. However, there were times when that family bond came through.
Like when I was adopted into the family and you wanted to name me Sally after your favorite cartoon. What an honor for an almost 6 year old to bestow! Or when I was 3and fell off the kitchen counter and had to go to the hospital and you gave me your very special treasured fuzzy horse to hold. This is a faint memory for me but it is still etched in my mind and I will never forget the feeling that made me have.
One of my favorites was one winter when we had recess at school. I must have been in 1st grade. My friends and I were running and pushing the merry-go-round and it was slippery. My legs slid underneath and got trapped. No one could move me or the equipment. I sent my friends to get you to help. You came with your friends (I remember Greg and maybe Mark) and as big, strong 6th graders you lifted that merry-go-round off of me. What a hero you were to me!
That hero-worship took me into high school. I wanted to do everything you did...only better. You were the impetus for me to run the 800m. You were what pushed me to get good grades. I wanted you to be proud of me.
Perhaps the sweetest thing you've ever done for me was the box you made for Liam's things. When my world fell apart, you were there to not only do what I asked, but to do it beyond my expectations. I know you thought the airline ruined it and I know how upset you were about that, BUT it is beautiful! It fits Liam perfectly and is my most treasured possession.
Our parents have done a great job raising us. At times I have faulted them for not being as touchy-feely as I would have liked. However, they taught us how to be strong and if it weren't for that, we both would not have handled our devastations with the grace that we did. I know this must be a hard day for you. Everything this first year without Cindy will be the hardest. I just wanted you to know that I am here for you, just the way you've always been there for me.
Happy Birthday!!!
9 comments:
Awww ...
That was really touching! Happy Birthday to your brother!!
What a beautiful tribute to your brother. Sometimes touchy-feely is overrated. Happy Birthday Bro!
Dana--yeah, I teared up a few times as I was reembering and typing.
Karen--Thanks! Yeah, but sometimes it's just what the Dr. ordered.
Happy Birthday Todd. Most of us have lost someone close. It is difficult and your loss is so recent. Remember, it will hurt and make you feel good at the same time. Hey, big boys do cry...
Wow! there "is" light in this room.
And it's pretty bright shining on your brother.
That was so sweet.. Happy B-Day, indeed. Cheers!!
What a beautiful letter. And it makes me want to ask all sorts of questions like, who is Cindy? Who is Liam? What is the box? You were adopted???
But for now, what a wonderful gift to give to your brother.
Mick--a little beam at least.
Matt-man--it came from the heart.
Bina--Cindy was Todd's wife who died this summer from breast cancer. I did a post on July 5th about it. Liam was my son who did as an infant. His 8th b-day is coming up and I'll do a post on it later this month. The box is where I keep all his stuff. Yes, I was adopted as a baby. Explains a lot, doesn't it?
Post a Comment